In case of fire your first call is always to 111

Nelson Management Ltd is a key stakeholder in rural fire management in the Nelson/Tasman and Marlborough/Kaikoura regions.  We support the work of the Rural Fire Authorities in both regions.

If you are planning to light an “open air” fire within a rural fire district you need to apply for a Fire Permit.  Permits are issued by the Rural Fire Authorities. You will find the online application process and contact details on the web links below.

Nelson/Tasman regions go to Waimea Rural Fire Authority

Marlborough/Kaikoura regions – Marlborough-Kaikoura Rural Fire Authority

There is valuable Fire Safety information provided via both the above links that will enable you to reduce risk while in the forest or as an owner of a small forest plantation. It is very important that you ensure that you have adequate insurance cover to protect you from personal and business risk in the event of a fire. 

Coromandel Summer Campaign


In both districts Nelson Management works with other main rural fire stakeholders to provide resources and equipment to ensure the Rural Fire Authority is able to effectively manage rural fire.

We contribute to this effort by

– maintaining a network of water points/fire ponds throughout the forests in the regions so that water is available, even in dry conditions.

– maintaining fire breaks and mown grass verges alongside major roads to reduce the possibility of ignition and fire spread.

– training Rural Fire Authority staff and contractors so they are equipped to respond to rural fire events both inside our own forests and also in the rural areas of Nelson and Marlborough.

– implementing operational controls during high fire danger periods.

– holding a large supply of fire fighting equipment including four dedicated rural fire appliances ready to respond should a fire start.

If you use rural land for leisure activity you need to be aware of the risks of fires in forests, parks and rural areas. Check with your regional Rural Fire Authority who can advise you of the fire danger status and explain the permit process.

“If you start a fire that gets out of control, you may be responsible for paying the cost of putting out the fire. Do not light a fire that you cannot control.” (Marlborough-Kaikoura Rural Fire Authority)