Nelson Forests Ltd (NFL) is a significant contributor to economic wellbeing and growth in the Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough regions.
There may be some things you don’t know about NFL so we thought we would share a few facts with you.
– Nelson Forests Ltd (NFL) is owned by One Forty One Plantations (OFO) which was formed in 2012 following the acquisition of a 105-year lease of 80,000 hectares of plantation assets from the South Australian Government. Since that time, OFO has become an established industry player within Australia with a strong track record of industry and community partnerships.
– OFO uses a local management team, Nelson Management Ltd (NML) to effect successful operations on the ground in the Nelson and Marlborough regions of New Zealand..
– NFL owns 78,000ha of forest in the Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough regions
– NFL also owns the Kaituna Sawmill in Marlborough
– NFL’s forest activities are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) which means the forest estate is managed to strict environmental, social and economics standards. The Kaituna Sawmill is also FSC® Chain of Custody certified.
– NFL is Port Nelson’s largest customer by volume
– NFL has an annual harvest of 1.1 million m3 and Kaituna sawmill produces 55,000 m3 of lumber
– Pinus Radiata has a 30-year growth rotation. NFL’s first plantings were in 1927. This means that NFL is now in its fourth rotation.
– NFL provides and maintains 125km of public easement road through its forests
– 70% of NFL’s logs are delivered to the domestic market with 30% exported to its main markets (Korea and China)